The first in a series of chats with our new board members, here is 60 seconds with Brian:
1. Why did you first get involved at the LFIA? I suppose I wanted to take the learnings I had gained from delivering the first LBC Project in the country (the University Of Wollongong’s SBRC Building) and bring this experience to the LFIA. There is a real value in using LBC in practice and knowing how this affects a project in the real life process of designing and putting a building together.
2. What are your hopes for our industry? I would hope that we garner the progress that has been made with green building to date and take this to the next level of complete sustainability where self-sufficient buildings are the norm and not the exception.
3. Tell us three things most people don’t know about you (where at least two of them should be true!) 1. Played for many years as a drummer in a rock band 2. Come from a building background – first starting my days as a carpenter on residential building sites 3. Have only been married once (quite an amazing feat these days…)
4. What’s your favourite childhood memory? I come from a reasonably large family so growing up and spending time (and getting myself into a fair bit of trouble) with my cousins.
5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Hopefully continuing my journey with sustainable building – travelling the world to experience, learn and teach the LBC platform.
6. You’re happiest when? Everything is done at work and I’m at home relaxing and spending time with my family (with a glass of red or two!!).
7. Do you have a favourite quote? Or a motto or personal mantra? “We must dare to be great; and we must realise that greatness is the fruit of toil and sacrifice and high courage.” – Theodore Roosevelt.